Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Memory Cognition Expert (Prompt #34)

Kids are really good at coming up with arguments for anything, especially if they are in a battle of wits with their parents.  I am hesitant to admit that this important skill has never really been one of my gifts, but it sure is one of my little sister's.  She can argue her way out of everything, very eloquently, I might add.  The best I can do is listen for the latest debate to start and make sure I get a front row seat.  On tonight's episode: Tori tries to convince her parents that she is indeed capable of watching television while working diligently on her homework.  Can the master on memory cognition accomplish her goal before she has her television privileges revoked?

Mom was giving her the look.  The look that says, "start talking, you know I'm going to win this."  The gauntlet has been thrown down and Tori begins her monologue.

"We've all had that experience where we are listening to a song when something happens, so that song will forever remind us of that experience."  I nodded my consent from the audience.  She was off to a good start.  Mom just continued to stare.  "When I watch TV the same effect occurs.  I can remember what I was studying when I was watching a certain show."  Excellent conclusion.

"I'm not convinced that giving something half of your attention could be better than giving it your full attention," Mom said, crossing her arms in disapproval.

"Let me explain it from a different angle.  You like when I play the piano, right?  I'm developing a talent.  Well, they say that the knowledge of a musical instrument makes us smarter and helps us to be able to learn quicker.  When I'm stuck on a math problem I go play the piano and let my brain process the information while I'm lost in the music."

Mom's countenance was lightening...the argument was taking hold in her brain.  I was hanging on my sister's every word.

"Approaching a problem, working on it for a while, and then letting the information sit in our brains for a time while we are participating in a different activity, one such activity could be watching our favorite sitcom, can actually help us to be able to solve the problem more effectively and with greater understanding."

Bam!  She was whipping out the "if A equals B and B equals C then A equals C" technique.  I'd seen it done successfully only a few times.  Those were big kid arguments, but she could handle them.

Mom paused for a second before sighing.  "Fine.  You can watch TV, but make sure all your homework gets done, understand?"  With that she was gone.  Tori had won the impossible argument.  Another tally on the score board for the memory cognition expert.

No comments:

Post a Comment