Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Internet "Love" (Prompt #22)

When she left for college, I knew we would grow apart a little, but this was too much.  I knew I'd change, and I knew she'd change, but this was too much.  I knew I wouldn't always be the one she turned to for advice, but I hadn't even seen this coming; this was too much.  Wasn't it against that unwritten girl code we had sworn on over chocolate ice cream to have kept such a huge secret from me?

Maybe I should chill for a second.  Breathe in, and let's back it up.  I was now on the phone with Zoey, who had finally decided to tell me about her secret boyfriend.  I was listening intently as she slowly approached the subject.

"I was scared to tell you," she said.  "I was afraid you wouldn't approve..."

"I'm your friend, Zoey.  I'm going to support you in whatever you decide.  Tell me about him!"

That seemed to be what she needed to hear, because on the other end of the line I could hear her start to giggle.  Then came the most startling explanation, one I could not have prepared for even if I had been given more than a few seconds to respond.

"I met him online!"

That wasn't my preference, but to each his own.  "That's nice, have you met up in person yet?"

"No, but he says he wants to someday..."

Someday.  What a non-commital word.  "Well, how long have you been...dating?"  Is it even called that?

"Six months."

Shock made me incapable of responding.  I had spoken too soon.  I was not prepared to be supportive of this.  Six months and they hadn't even met yet.

"He's really sweet!  He tells me every day that he misses me--"

How can someone miss someone they've technically never met?

"--And he's always so funny and charming--"

As far as you can tell through email.

"--And even though sometimes he doesn't talk to me for a while--"

Red flag.

"--He still really cares.  He always makes me feel so special."

"Zoey...I don't think this is healthy for you."

"What do you mean?"

"I think you need a good, stable relationship with real interaction."

"But we do interact!"

"Through email."

"Hey, don't be rude."  Her tone was changing quickly.  She was hurt now.

"I don't mean to be mean, I just have to wonder: what if he's a jerk?  What if someday you do meet him and he is a horrible, ugly, lying, cheating--"

"SHUT UP!"  I was silent.  "He's none of those things!  He's a good person!"

Quietly I asked, "Have you ever talked to him on the phone or through skype or anything?"

"No."  Her voice was short and low.

"I guess it hasn't been too long..."

"No."

"And he hasn't given you any reason to believe he is a bad guy?"

"No."

"Maybe you two will find a way to make it work."

Silence.

"I wish you two the best."

"Thanks.  I'll talk to you later, to keep you posted."

"I'd appreciate that.  Good luck Zoey."

She hung up.  That could have gone better, but at least now I knew what was going on.  As hard as it was going to be to carry on being supportive, that's what friends do, and I could do that.  Maybe they can be happy with a relationship like that...

No comments:

Post a Comment