Tuesday, February 15, 2011

If Heaven Could Be Served on a Plate (Prompt #14)

What I love about restaurants is that with every different one you walk into you are overwhelmed with a new culture.  It just so happens that my favorite food is served in one of my favorite cultural settings.  Moki's Hawaiian Grill combines every color and splash of Hawaii with all of my taste buds' favorite flavors.  You walk in and are instantly greeted with shouts of "Aloha!" from the workers in the kitchen.  When I shout "Aloha!" back, am not only returning the welcome, but also greeting the exciting aroma and soon to be amazing tastes.

The Dinner Menu


Teriyaki Beef
Teriyaki Chicken
Pulled Pork
Ribs

Tossed Salad
Macaroni Salad
Garden Salad

There are plenty of other options, but these are in my opinion the best, and seem to show the wide variety of options that you are presented with.  Of course, if you aren't a meat lover, there is always the other side of the menu, but I've never paid much attention to that.  Each plate is supplied with the sticky white rice, the kind you begin eating with chopsticks at the start of the night, and finish off with a fork at the impatient end.  I had never realized that the Hawaiian culture engaged in the ancient art of chopstick torture...

If this food is a reflection on Hawaii, I must say this culture has to be one of my favorites.  Just like the variety of island designs painted on the walls and hung in the windows, the variety in one dinner plate is endless.  Having accumulated one salad, one main dish, and rice, every bite is packed with sweet, tangy, or tart flavor.  Can it get better?

The Desert Menu


Pineapple Ice Cream
Coconut Ice Cream
Giri Giri
Grandma's Cake

The island theme even carried into the ice cream screams joy to the customer's appetite.  And while these first two ice creams are good, the Giri Giri (whatever it is) is my favorite of the ice creams by far!  Despite the fact that pink is usually my deterring color, this valentine colored treat is a perfect balance between fruity and sweet.  The only downfall is that it fills you up fast, so the enjoyment is limited!  And if I'm craving chocolate, as is usually the case, there is always Grandma's cake to turn to.  How do you improve on a cake that is already on the brink of being the richest chocolate sensation in the world?  You drizzle it with a light topping of carmel and add a pinch of toffee.  We must conclude that Hawaiian culture has managed to capture heaven in the form of food!

No comments:

Post a Comment