Thursday, February 3, 2011

"Brand New Day" by Ryan Star (Prompt #8)

"I stayed in one place for too long,
Gotta get on the run again."

Swinging like a pendulum wears on a person after days of going from tears, to smiles.  Tears.  Smiles.  Tears.  Smiles.  Monotonous trends are hard to break.  How do you motivate yourself to change something so drastically in order to break cycles caused by the same relationships, the same daily routines, the same habits?  I may not have, except that I wasn't the one doing the changing.  All in an instant every relationship I had was broken or strained, daily routines were shattered, and habits were broken.  Interestingly enough, I found that you don't notice how annoying the droning of a swinging pendulum is until it stops and the ensuing silence is beautiful.

"Send me a sign,
Turn back the clock,
Give me some time.
I need to break out, and make a new name."

When this change occurred, just as the new year rung itself in, I found myself temporarily lost without my previous grandfather-clock shell of a life.  Knowing I was on the verge of a complete personality change, I was excited to get started on making a new name for myself.  The main explosion that had caused this change had been a particularly bad break up, so I settled on the tag "friend" and began.

"I'm throwing rocks at your window
We're leaving this place together.
They say that we're flying too high
Get used to looking up."

I quickly made friends with a million different people, one of which was constantly waiting for the next adventure.  Tonight's agenda: flying paper airplanes off of something tall, and he needed someone to help him.  I needed someone to help me learn how to enjoy the simple things in life.  Logically, we were happy to trade favors.

Off we went to our chosen jungle gym of great heights: the Mesa Arts Center, which was littered with endless stairwells, tall buildings, and adventurous balconies.  We had twelve of our most carefully crafted flight machines and began testing their skills from the top of a two-story staircase.

"We'll call this one, 'The Experiment'.  I've been developing it for six years.  The success of this flight now lies in your hands."  It plummeted to the ground.  Experiment failed.  He blamed me, I blamed him.  The real world had left, only leaving behind the world in which paper airplane crashes were detrimental to human existence.  This was good enough for us!  In fact, we were thrilled.  Pilots and controllers of everything, if only for a few hours.  We made them count.

"They say that we're dreaming too big
I say this town's too small."

The name "Toucan Sam" was given to our most successful airplane.  It flew in perfect loops around a tree that looked like a construction cone when you stood on your head fifty feet away and crossed your eyes.  It flew like this every time until its tragic crash in the Nile River (manmade decorative stream) which instantly dampened its ability to fly.  We cleaned up the airplanes, making sure we had all of them by using base-8 number systems to count to twelve....Obviously we had created a topsy turvy world.  It seems crazy.  It seems insane even.  Admittedly, it was insane.  But we held almost reverently the twelve pieces of paper in our frozen hands as we walked away in the dark, conquerers of the monotonous world.

"Let's open our eyes to the brand new day."

No comments:

Post a Comment