Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Pure Intelligence (Prompt #42)

Cognitive dissonance, the topic for today's lecture in Social Psychology is, according to our professor, "the hardest concept to grasp in this class."  I totally understand the ideas behind the cognitive dissonance theory (which I learned already in Psychology 101) so it wasn't hard for me to follow this lecture at all.  I sat tight and watched as the class attempted to reach the same level of comprehension on this "insanely complex" topic.

Cognitive dissonance is the idea that when your actions and your beliefs are not in line with each other, you feel uncomfortable.  For example: if you are giving a speech on pro choice ideas but you are really pro life, you will feel uncomfortable.  Under the idea of cognitive dissonance is what is called the Balance Theory.  In short, this theory says that if this imbalance is present, you will try to do something to fix it.  In the above example, if you preach pro-choice, you may start acting on that belief, to convince yourself in a way that you were not just being a hypocrite.  If you don't understand the theory, you aren't alone.  You just need to understand that it claims that people take action to make sure their actions and beliefs line up.

This theory, to put it lightly, did not go over with my . . . analytical classmates.  While the class is conducted in a way that is conducive to discussion, this particular argument took an unreasonable amount of time and seemed to go in circles.  My professor believes the theory is truthful, while there were two particularly obnoxious girls in the class who completely opposed it and were determined to disprove it.

The professor stepped up to the plate.  "For example.  Let's say for argument's purpose that I am against abortion and my buddy Ben is pro-choice.  We have been friends since we were born, but this disagreement makes me uncomfortable.  My instinct is to change his mind, so we won't have this wedge in our friendship.  It makes me uncomfortable to be friends with him when he has such a strong opposing view from me."

Opponent #1:  "My best friend is in favor of the war and I am against it, but that doesn't mean I'm going to stop being her friend.  Does friendship mean nothing to you?"

Professor:  "Friendship is very important.  What do you do when you guys talk about that conflict?"

Opponent #1:  "We don't talk about it.  We try to avoid it."

Professor:  "Why?"

Opponent #1:  "Because it makes us mad when we fight, duh."

Professor:  "Exactly.  It strains your friendship because somewhere inside of your brain you know it makes you uncomfortable that your friend has such an opposing view to yours.  So your avoidance of the subject proves that you are doing what you can to balance this by pretending that the difference doesn't exist."

Opponent #2:  "I'd just like to say that I agree with that girl.  She's totally right to say that you wouldn't just ditch your friend because you have a differing opinion on one thing."

The professor came up with several more solid arguments to counter attack these girls, even when the girls' arguments were weak enough to fall apart on their own.  The girls rallied more support from the class while the professor just stood there and offered smug answers to their protests.  Finally, after forty five minutes of grueling banter, the professor asked a powerful question.

"Why are you trying so hard to convince me that you are correct?"

Silence.

"Anyone?"

Silence.

"Might I suggest that you are feeling a sense of dissonance between your beliefs and my ideas I am providing, and are therefore trying to convince me to bring my ideas to your level of belief?"

Silence.  The argument itself that the Balance Theory was flawed had in fact proved its accuracy.  And the smug grin on the professor's face remained as he dismissed the class.

No comments:

Post a Comment