Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Even I Have Them (Prompt #52 Variation)

When I was little, everyone had them, especially the adults.  My mom had them, my grandma had them, my teachers had lots of them.  My dad didn't have them, but that's because he liked his computer better.  But everyone else seemed to have them, and when you are a kid, they all want you to love them as much as they apparently did.  People were practically shoving them down my throat at every turn, but I didn't mind at all.  If they were a candy, they would be chocolate, and I began to crave them.

My favorite place became the library.  This place had lots of them.  Shelves of them.  I could go there and dive into them like a swimming pool, only this sensation was much more satisfying.  It wasn't long before it felt like my soul consisted of pages, just like the pages in my favorite things in the world.

Are you kidding me?  I can just open one and start reading and live in a completely different world?  This is too good to be true.  And if this wasn't good enough, my little imaginative brain could allow me to actually be my favorite characters.  This was a dream come true.  My family practically forgot I existed, because I was always in my room buried in my latest adventure.  Only a few years passed before I began to be jealous of those who got to participate in the production of such wonderful things.  I wanted in.  The reading continued, but suddenly I was producing my own little works of art and passing my ideas by the eyes of anyone I could drag into reading them.

Even now, as I have ventured into the world of college, I haven't yet been able to separate myself from the world I have joined, and this separation is nowhere in the foreseeable future.  My major in college is Secondary Education with an emphasis on English, so me and my trusty inanimate friends will be great companions throughout my education and future career as I share them with my future students.  They may not feel as strong a draw to them as I have, in fact they may reject them, skim through them, or even throw them at a wall a time or two.  But at least I can say that I tried!  And my opinions of these wonderful word-filled creations will never change.

No comments:

Post a Comment