Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Mom Was a Teenager Once (Prompt #5)

It’s earlier than expected!  My flight wasn’t supposed to get in for another hour.  I called Jenny first.  “Jenny!  I’m back in town for spring break!”

Jenny, my cousin, screamed on the other end of the line.  “I’ll be there in ten minutes!” she said excitedly, and hung up on me.  I laughed and sat down in one of the terminal chairs.  Even their uncomfortable hardness couldn’t keep my mind off of all the exciting things we were going to do over the next week.  Of course, in the back of my mind there was always the thought of why I had really come home, and that was to break up with my boyfriend.  People don’t really do that over the phone, at least not decent people.  That was my opinion.  But it was time for the relationship to end, so I figured it would go smooth enough, and Jenny and I could get back to painting the town.

Soon enough Jenny had picked me up and we went out to lunch.  We took our time, giggling as we caught each other up on our lives.  It was once I got home that I realized spring break was going to blow.

When I walked in, my mom dropped the dishes she was washing and rushed up to me.  “Ryan is in the living room.  He’s been sitting there for forty-five minutes just dying to see you.”  This was before the days of cell phones, so she had had no way of getting in touch with me to tell me to come home.

I sighed.  That certainly wasn’t good.  I walked into the living room, ready to burst his bubble.

“Laura!” he said, jumping up.

“Hey, Ryan,” I said, faking a half-smile.

He knew at once what was coming.  “Let’s go talk.”

I followed him outside and we talked in his car for like ten minutes.  Way too short for a conversation like that, right?  I told him I wasn’t feeling it anymore, to which he replied, “You have great timing.”  I asked him what he meant but he just shook his head.  After an awkward goodbye I got out of the car and went back inside, immediately calling Jenny.

“Hey, Jen,” I said.  “So, I just broke up with Ryan.”

On her end Jenny was silent for a moment, before saying, “You didn’t.  He was going to propose to you tonight!”

Like I said, spring break pretty much blew after that realization hit me like a ton of bricks.  But even to this day, I still haven’t mustered up enough emotion to actually feel all that bad.  He and I are both happily married to different people now, so we can say all is well and leave it at that!  And hey, it’s a great story to tell my dating age kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment